Why is HIPAA compliance important to my practice?
The process of becoming HIPAA compliant seems costly and confusing, so as a result, numerous health organizations avoid the process. However, the cost of doing nothing is great.
Failure to comply can result in:
- Thousands — even hundreds of thousands — of dollars in breach fines
- Damage to reputation which leads to a loss of future and existing patients
To illustrate, the cost of each data breach is estimated at around $240. Which means if 1,000 of your records are breached the fines would be $240,000.
What do I need to know?
You need to fulfill the HIPAA Security Rule Requirements:
- Perform a Risk Assessment
- Develop Policies and Procedures
- Train Employees (including periodic reminders)
- Have an Incident Response Plan
- Maintain Business Associate Agreements
How does MyITpros come into play?
Obviously, we care a lot about our clients and don’t want to see them get fined. The other reason we are so dedicated to ensuring you are HIPAA compliant is because compliance is so intertwined with IT. In fact, IT plays such a dominant role that we we feel compelled to help you become compliant.
There are so many reasons a company is at risk for breaches based on common IT weaknesses such as:
- Lack of anti-virus on all endpoints and servers
- Lack of security patching of servers and desktops
- Lack of encryption (email, laptop, mobile devices, USB drives, offsite data backup)
- Lack of an implemented and tested disaster recovery plan
How can I become compliant with the least disruption?
We want to make this process as painless as possible for our clients. So we partner with a service called HIPAA Secure Now!
This service provides everything you need to reach and maintain compliance and even does most of the heavy lifting. The service:
- Performs the initial risk assessment (continued annually)
- Creates your policies and procedures
- Continuously trains your employees
- Responds to security breaches
- Provides a book of evidence if audited
- Protects you from financial fines
It only requires you to provide:
- Where the patient data is
- How patient data is protected
- 2-4 hours of your time (which can be broken out in 1 hour sessions)
Contact us to learn more.